- This was based on evaluations carried out on their reporting performance in terms of responsible investment and sustainability practices in Latin America.
- The Company also distinguished itself in three other categories, as part of the Colombia chapter, these being “Leading Institution in Corporate Governance”, “ALAS20 Investor 2019” and “Leader in Sustainability Research”.
- ALAS20 is an initiative sponsored by GovernArt, a Chilean think tank that encourages companies and investors to embrace environmental, social and corporate governance (ESG) criteria.
Grupo SURA was ranked as the Grand Prix Institution by ALAS20 as part of its latest awards that track companies from Colombia, Mexico, Peru, Chile and Brazil. This category ranks the top Latin American investors in terms of "their leadership, consistency and excellence in the public reporting of their investor relations, sustainable development, and corporate governance practices," according to GovernArt, the Chilean organization sponsoring the Sustainable Leaders Agenda 2020 (ALAS20).
"This recognition has provided us with further encouragement in continuing to work on our commitment to shareholders and the investing public in terms of building upon our sustainable investment practices. Here we are developing tools for our investment and risk management staff for the purpose of evaluating environmental, social and governance (ESG) factors as part of our portfolio management practices," stated Tatyana Orozco, Chief Corporate Affairs Officer at Grupo SURA.
Various sustainability and responsible investment strategies deployed this year by Grupo SURA and its subsidiaries, Suramericana and SURA Asset Management, were key to earning these awards, these being:
- For the ninth consecutive year, Grupo SURA again formed part of the 318 global companies that were admitted to the Dow Jones Global Sustainability Index last year, being one of just the three included from the Diverse Financial Services and Capital Markets sector.
- SURA Asset Management is a signatory to the Principles for Responsible Investment (PRI) and Suramericana is a signatory to the Principles for Sustainable Insurance (PSI), initiatives which promote the incorporation of environmental, social and corporate governance factors in the investment and underwriting processes.
In Colombia, Grupo SURA also received the ALAS20 recognition as a Leading Institution in Corporate Governance and Sustainability Research. Furthermore, the Company was honored with the national institution ALAS20 2019 award, which ranks organizations in terms of their best practices for achieving a positive impact on the environment.
In this regard, it should be noted that more than 27 thousand employees of the SURA Business Group in 10 countries throughout Latin America recently receive training in aspects regarding the Company's Ethics and Corporate Governance System and we continue to map out more demanding and innovative practices that are in keeping with our corporate dynamics and that have a positive impact on business management.
This year, the companies nominated for the ALAS20 awards obtained the highest scores in the ballots held in each of their country of origin, this based on publicly available information on their sustainability strategies. They were also evaluated by a committee consisting of financial analysts, investment managers, members of asset management and pension fund management firms as well as institutional investors.